Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 1997 17:53:20 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world error in RELENG_2_2

At 09:24 PM 6/19/97 +0200, J Wunsch wrote:
>As Mike Tancsa wrote:
>
>> >THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH 2.2.
>> >
>> >I don't know why, or what has broken peoples' systems, but it's nothing
>> >wrong with the tree.
>>
>> If there is nothing wrong, why were so many people having problems all of a
>> sudden?  I would say the lack of the login.conf in /etc was a 'problem'...
>
>That's something entirely different.  Mike's statement was related to
>the build process.

I was also talking about the build process... I see the two as being
related in that both demonstrate a weaker area of the FreeBSD documentation
(weak relative to an OS that is otherwise most excellent)... As I said in
my response to JK, I think including a file in the CVSUP that contains such
info like (make world will fail unless you rebuild your /usr/include tree,
or XXX no longer exists and has been replaced by YYY, so do ZZZ before
doing a make world, otherwise you are in trouble...)

>Note that a newly built and installed 2.2-stable of
>course should create /etc/login.conf, however upgrading using `make
>world' is supposed to never touch files in /etc.  The upgrader is
>always responsible for doing this manually (has always been, and will
>be for at least quite some time, until a contributor steps forward
>with a sophisticated upgrade concept).

Yes, I can see why this is a desirable design... That part has always been
clear... Its the kill and rebuild /usr/include  and .depends that up until
a few cvsups ago, I (and a few others it seems) didnt know about... It
wasnt such a big issue for me, because the effected unit was just a backup
server... But had it been one of my main production units, I would be a few
kg's thinner.

I know that the answers are almost always in the list, but sometimes
finding a small kernel of info like that can be very difficult in mail
archives.  Hence, I see it more of an issue than people who are already
aware of it.  Adding a few points like the ones raised by JK to the
documentation, could go a long way to avoid problems like this.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mike@sentex.net)           * To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
Sentex Communications Corp,              * To be is to do  -- Sartre
Cambridge, Ontario                       * Do be do be do  -- Sinatra
(http://www.sentex.net/~mdtancsa)        *