Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 1995 07:49:04 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        peter@bonkers.taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getty(8)

As Peter da Silva wrote:

> J Wunsch  <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de> wrote:
> >What about a rewrite?  How to add the missing functionality?  I'd

> Opinion:
>
> You could do worse than to simply clone the System V format. Yes, it's
> System V... but it is something that people are familiar with. That's
> got to be worth something...

I've already thought about this, but:

o i'd like to keep the current name; having two different names
  sounding rather similar always caused me grief;

o i always hated SysV's habit of requiring looong lines, they should
  be `backslashable';

o i don't think the SysV format is a superset of the gettytab, i think
  things like the banner message cannot be defined there.

So i came to the conclusion that it's best to stick with the current
format, but allow for the long stty keywords in it.  This should ease
the transition, while giving the full power of the termios
capabilities to the admin.  I haven't checked how much work this would
require to parse however.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/