Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 13:11:56 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        "John G. Chronakis" <vmbsd@satspeed.gr>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Just questions

"John G. Chronakis" schrieb:

> Hello,
>
> I have installed FreeBSD 4.1.1 Release yesterday and I have some
> questions.
>
> 1. How do I uninstall a distribution package?
>    (i.e. src/sys after compiling a new kernel)

Just delete it. have a look at the packing list of the tarball, then
delete its contents.
OTOH, deleting /src/sys is not wise if youplan to stay stable or
current.

> 2. Some ports have many dependencies that "make" fetches
>    and compiles before the requested port (like kde meta port).
>    Is there a way to tell make to clean each required package
>    before fetching and compiling the next?

Unfortunately, there is no such thing. make clean cleans up only after
the final port is installed. If you want to make clean after each port
has been compiled, you'd have to resolve the dependencies by hand and
compile the needed ports before compiling the dependend ones.

> 3. When I try to mount my ext2fs linux partition
>    (hda3 on linux and I suppose ad0s3 on freebsd)
>    I get the following error from mount_ext2fs:
>
>    # mount_ext2fs /dev/ad0s3 /mnt
>    mount_ext2fs: vfsload(ext2fs): No such file or directory
>
>    I didn't have any trouble mounting win partitions

Don't know about that - Linux is to be avoided here ;)

HTH
-Christoph Sold