Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 1995 15:04:42 -0500
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@freefall.FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org, jkh@freefall.FreeBSD.org, rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com
Subject:   Probable problem with SL/IP installations (ifconfig sl0 not run.)

After telneting into freefall, I think I've determined
the bug in sysinstall that prevents SL/IP stuff from
working.

The 'devp' in tcpOpenDialog() has been passed an interface
name of "cuaa0" (in my case.)

It then winds up setting the VAR_IFCONFIG value based
on that device name (it would be something like:  ifconfig_cuaa0)

Later, in network.c, the device name (passed in in 'dev') has
become 'sl0',  network.c at line 95 uses that to check for
the environment variable 'ifconfig_sl0'; which has not been
set.

[Notable, I noticed in examining the debugging information on VTY2,
there has been no 'ifconfig sl0' command executed...]

So, network.c issues the message that sl0 isn't set, and fails
the install.

Jordan - can we get this repaired and make another boot floppy
available?

I thought about a hack to set this with something like:

    ifconfig_sl0=TRUE; export ifconfig_sl0; ifconfig sl0 ...; slattach ...

in the slattach command, but that starts up a sub-process, and won't
set the environment variable properly (it does get the ifconfig working,
and I can merrily run mount_nfs on the "holographic shell")

I hope fixing this will allow more people to try out FreeBSD 2.1, as
I'm sure not all ISPs use PPP (e.g. I use SL/IP to connect to mine,
although I had a choice.)

	 - Thanks -
	- Dave Rivers -