Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 2000 11:18:27 -0800
From:      "Ras-Sol" <ras-sol@usa.net>
To:        <mcglk@serv.net>, "PATRICIA ZOUZOUNIS" <pzouzounis@i-star.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   (PPP logging) AND Re: Fwd: Fwd: yahoo clubs for teens pornographic

> I'm sure that while some of the content you ran into is offensive, in your
> opinion (and, as I said, certainly in the opinions of some of the
participants
> of *this* list), I must gently object to your assertion that Yahoo is
"clearly
> and deliberatly making this trash available to our kids."  You might as
easily
> say that the US Government is doing the same, or FreeBSD, or for that
matter,
> God (who most certainly permits this sort of thing on a regular basis, for
> better or worse).

Yah- God did it!

That bastard!

<freebsd>
While running PPPoE on my wee 486, I saw it slowly chewing all CPU and just
performing miserably in general.
(Which it was *not* doing before)

I have discoverd why, and now I will share with you.
(Since it was completely non-obvious)

Logging.

I have syslogd disabled on the box, and ppp was set up to log through
syslog-
I simply commented out the "set log..." line in ppp.conf, and now we hang at
about 13%cpu at full "ping -f" throttle.

*Note- it did this SAME thing on my spankin new celeron 533-- chewing
40%cpu.
(This was with a working syslog)
So it seems that ppp logging through syslog is VERY costly in general, so
watch out for it.

--

-sex:blood:heaven-

 AIM: IMFDUP