Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 09:34:08 -0800
From:      chip <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Anthony Atkielski <anthony@atkielski.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why dual boot?

On Saturday 26 January 2002 01:03 am, Terry Lambert banged out on the key=
s:
> Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> > Dual-boot configurations are really not necessary today.  Even the
> > cheapest second-hand PC will run FreeBSD quite nicely, so there isn't=
 any
> > reason not to run it on a separate, dedicated machine.  If you need b=
oth
> > Windows and FreeBSD, just use one machine for each.
>
> Works great in a one room apartment.  Also works great if you
> aren't a geek, and only want to own one computer, or are a
> student, who has to have a Windows machine for classwork, but
> would like to have a UNIX to work/learn on, too.

There is another possibility not yet mentioned - vmware. I have set up=20
systems at work that run (spec'd by the developers) redhat linux and vmwa=
re=20
with win2000 in the vm. My experience was that this works real well. Both=
=20
OS's have full network access to each other and the 'outside' world. This=
=20
also saves the extra work of setting up a dual-boot system. Granted,=20
sometimes setting up vmware can be just as much work. Soon as I get a lar=
ger=20
hard drive I'm going to do that on my workstation, FBSD with W2K in the v=
m.

--=20
Chip
Windows 95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patc=
to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.