Date:      Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:38:36 +1000
From:      "Christopher Martin" <outsidefactor@iinet.net.au>
To:        "'Eugene M. Minkovskii'" <emin@mccme.ru>
Subject:   RE: mounting UFS under Linux

Sort of the wrong forum for you question.

If you are looking for information about a Gentoo you are better off asking
in a Gentoo forum, but I will try and help, none the less.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+FreeBSD-5.html seems to suggest that you
must recompile the Kernel, however like a lot of documentation in the Linux
world it's out of data, referring to kernel 2.0, so I don't know how
relevant it is. You may just need to load an already compiled module, for
all I know.

Also, be aware that FreeBSD has kept the soft-updates file table method,
rather than move to a journalled file system. If you are interested in a
comparison, have a look at:
http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/usenix2000/general/fu
ll_papers/seltzer/seltzer_html/index.html

It's an older document but, still holds true in most cases.

Lastly, if you like Gentoo I am willing to bet you would like FreeBSD. Take
a look, you might find you like it, and the performance benefits are worth
it. FreeBSD 6 will see serious performance improvements, building on
FreeBSD's already amazing performance, and with contextual locking, ACLs and
totally asynchronous I/O it should make for some amazing performance. Beta 4
is out now, and it will be in full release before the end of the year.

Hope that helps.