Date:      12 Apr 2000 00:20:50 -0700
From:      asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, marcel@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: linux ports (Re: Netscape 6 Linux pre-release, got it going.)

 * From: Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>

(Don't know if Marcel is on -ports, so CC:d explicitly.)

 * I don't think we should be breaking up the current linux_base or linux_dev
 * ports, because those are (supposed to be) default Redhat installs so
 * redhat linux binaries get the environment they are expecting.

I wasn't aware that they are "default" RedHat installations.  (Why are
there two?)  But in any case, if there is a reason why the current
sets are designed that way, it's fine for me.

 * For additional packages, having monolithic RPM sets seems to me to be
 * bloat - why can't we set up a 1-1 mapping of RPM to package, perhaps by a
 * single "portal" redhat rpm port which grabs an RPM from the redhat site
 * (possibly choosing from a list as an option), munges it to extract the
 * PLIST and installs it?

I don't mind, as long as the maintenance isn't too hard and users can
install/deinstall those packages just like normal FreeBSD ports.

Satoshi