Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2006 08:21:43 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Bj=F6rn_K=F6nig?= <bkoenig@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        Benjamin Lutz <benlutz@datacomm.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OPTIONS and WITH/WITHOUT variables

Benjamin Lutz schrieb:

> Section 5.11.2.2, Syntax of the Porter's Handbook says:
>
> | OPTIONS definition must appear before the inclusion of bsd.port.pre.mk. The
> | WITH_* and WITHOUT_* variables can only be tested after the inclusion of
> | bsd.port.pre.mk. Due to a deficiency in the infrastructure, you can only
> | test WITH_* variables for options, which are OFF by default, and WITHOUT_*
> | variables for options, which defaults to ON.
>
> However I noticed that for variables that default to on, a WITH_* variable is
> defined. [...]

I'm not quite sure if I understand you correctly. The handbook talking
about *options* that default to on, not variables. It means if you have
a super-duper feature that is turned ON by default then you may have a
WITHOUT_SUPERDUPER switch that turns it OFF ... and the other way
around: there is a useless feature that might be turned OFF by default
then you probably have a WITH_USELESSFEATURE switch that turns it ON. :-)

Björn