Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 12:15:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      mi@aldan.algebra.com
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, david@mandrakesoft.com
Subject:   KDE2 experiences (Re: KDE2 fails to compile in strangest possible w ay)

On  2 Oct, Mike Smith wrote:
= > For reference,  I have a dual  PIII-500 w/ 512MB of  memory, and the
= > new box I'm building will have a dual PIII-600E w/ 640MB. The former
= > takes approximately 5 hours to build the entire suite.
=
= Have you ever tried going beyond that and actually run it? Is it meant
= to  work? Specifically,  startup is  kinda flaky,  kwrited starts  and
= can't be  (easily) killed, and konsole  never starts a shell  and dies
= after a few seconds.

kcminit was seg-faulting for me on startup until I moved my ~/.kde (from
1.1.2) away  and restarted. It  does come  up and looks  cute.

Konqueror  (the  Internet  browser  --   my  major  reason  to  upgrade)
seems  to  work   but  crashes  on  the  the  kde.org's   list  of  bugs
(http://bugs.kde.org/db/ix/full.html) --  a HUGE page --  very ironic. I
filed the bug  report, but the response was that  they can not reproduce
it and would need to recompile with --enable-debug...

Sometimes, popup menus have double  entries for everything. Perhaps a Qt
thing...

For  some  reason, the  support  for  the  Ukrainian charset  koi8-u  is
ifdef-ed out of the  Qt2, although it is just a  superset of the Russian
koi8-r (which  is supported) adding  a few  more characters. It  was not
obvious, that one needs to  download the particular language translation
and install  it manually to have  the languages other than  English (US)
and "Default C". This is different  from the previous version, but makes
sense, now that I know about it.

Running Linux version  of Netscape becomes difficult,  because KDE seems
to  set the  LD_LIBRARY_PATH  by  default (the  previous  beta was  also
setting LD_PRELOAD!!!).

My biggest  complaint was the Run  entry of the right  mouse popup menu.
Trying to be smarter than I am, it would refuse to try ``exec xterm'' --
only ``xterm'' would work. Since it uses the user's shell to process the
command, this  means I will  have a  tcsh process running  in background
eating up  VM space  until I  exit the xterm  (/bin/tcsh -c  xterm). Our
/bin/sh has the same issue, but the  bash (default on Linux) does not --
it  appears to  be smart  enough to  bypass fork(2)  and go  straight to
exec(2) on the last command of a script.

From talking to the  developer, it seems they just wanted  to be able to
tell  an application  failure from  the shell's  failure to  execute the
command, and  so KDE will look  through the PATH for  the command before
invoking the  shell. This  breaks ALL shell's  builtin commands  -- most
importantly, the  exec and  the aliases.  And it  relies on  the uniform
support of the  -c option by all  possible shells. I hope,  this will be
addresses before the 2.0 release, I guess a workaround would be to touch
/bin/exec and chmod +x /bin/exec :)

= Aside from that, it's nice candy. 8)

Indeed :)

	-mi