Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 2002 00:02:18 -0800
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Water Damage

My church had a fire in the computer room today.  The equipment was not
directly damaged by the fire as the sprinkler system put it out very
quickly.  However, the sprinklers ran directly on the equipment for a
couple hours.  There are several servers, routers, hubs etc.  Most of
them had water pouring out when we picked them up.  All but one spare
router were on during this.

I have carefully dried out all the units.  However, one of the hubs
appears to be toast.  Some of the burning residue fell down and was
pulled into the hub by the fan and is imbedded into some of its chips.
I didn't bother with cleaning that one up.  However, there is no
visible damage to the remaining gear.  I am letting it sit tonight and
will try a power cycle on it tomorrow.  Presuming that any of it is
still working, the question is can it be trusted for unattended
operations anymore?  While the cost of most of it is not significant,
the configuration time is.  It would be much easier to use it rather
than set up new gear.