Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 1995 22:01:44 -0400
From:      Temptation <temp@temptation.interlog.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.Org
Subject:   Re: NCR810 problem?

On Mon, 5 Jun 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> [Other stuff about ASUS PCI/I-486SP3G motherboard]
>
> Well, that is not a far comparison, what happens to the P54C-90 if you
> also put 40nS simms and a 512K cache in it??  This it screams if it is
> the right motherboard!!  [I am not about to go plop down the cash to
> find out right now :-)]

heheheh, I know, but makes it fair doesn't it ? :), it's the fairer way
to compare Pent vs 486 ;)
> > > I don't use the standard install tools, but I have been shipping systems
> > > on this board since March, which means that FreeBSD does run on it with
> > > out problem.  Sounds like you had the cache set to write back mode, which
> > > is a known problem on this board (or at least known to me!!).
> >

> Well, until about Junuary of this year the PCI code and the NCR support
> was not very great, it is much bettern now.  And until about March of
> this year 2940 support was not even there really, and just became stable
> about 3 or 4 weeks ago.  I imagen most of what you have been fighting
> with has been FreeBSD software bugs due to the selection of hardware.

this true, Justin has a done a Great job with the 29/28/27 driver. (I've
had problem with other boards and Free, Not just this one, but thats in
the past now. If I can get Free setup like my Linux system, then I'll be
setting it up on some more machines, so far it's been going pretty good.

> Oh, yeah, right, well is what I do is go into the ports I want to build
> and find out what distfiles I need, then I just ftp those files into
> my distfiles directory from my server.

well I wanted to install just about everything.
and the reason I got the source first was becuase I didn't know about the
packages. It's not like FreeBSD is well documented (Remember I installed
the Alpha, maybe the day or day after it come out, you don't expect any
docs with Alpha products, And I thought install was pretty easy by the
way, so there really wasn't much need) Also Since I've never got it
installed before, thrown out most of the Cd's ( I have the first one I
bought, still stuck in the wall) I got all the readmes I could find, tho
I didn't read them all way through.
I only found about the Sources becuase Justin told me about them. So I
got them all, and as I was complaining to Justin, about how I thought
FreeBSD sucked because it didn't have Bins, he Told me, they are in
Packages( I never asked him for bins, So this is my fault) So I Ftped
them :) was only 103megs, Now I have both, Which I'm happy about. Because
I like FVWM in XFree, and Someone edited out internal functions of Fvwm
when they compiled it, So since I had sources I put them back.

Anyways, when 2.0.5R cd comes to my part of the Country, I'm going to
make FreeBSD as my main server. Is has stable drivers(more then Linux
anyway) and much Better Network support, And by that time I should know
enough about FreeBSD, to have it running the way I want it.
 > > I already got /ports/distfiles, your right it is HUGE :)
> > I'm getting /packages which seems bigger :)
>
> Why do you need both the sources, and the pre built stuff, just build
> it yourself!!!!  [cd /usr/ports; make all install] and if you want the
> packages [make packages].

I have the space ;)