Date:      Fri, 30 May 2008 13:44:43 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de
Subject:   Re: broken re(4)

Gerrit Kühn wrote:
 > As Oliver already suggested, I will take out the controller and see what
 > happens then.
 >
 > Talking about this controller: This is also the only board I am using with
 > PCI cards (and thus with a PCI riser) at all. I remember vaguely that I
 > had a few problems getting the controller to work in the riser card when
 > it put the system together. The riser has two ports, and the controller
 > would only work in the upper one afaicr.

That rings a bell ...

I remember reports of riser cards that apparently changed
the timing on the PCI bus so they were only marginally
compliant with the spec, or maybe not even that anymore.

If you try to remove the controller, please also remove
the riser card.  It could well be that it's causing
problems, especially if it's on the same PCI bus as the
onboard re(4) interfaces.

There are various kinds of riser cards (passive, active,
with fixed IRQs, or with jumpers, and so on).  For a
related discussion see this one, for example:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/6/24/39

Typing "pci riser card jumper" in Google will give you
many more pages with interesting (or frightening) stuff
to read.

Best regards
   Oliver

"I have stopped reading Stephen King novels.
Now I just read C code instead."
        -- Richard A. O'Keefe