Date:      Sat, 5 May 2001 21:16:50 -0600
From:      Joe Warner <rootman@xmission.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is Brett Glass to easy on RMS?

On Sat, 05 May 2001, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 07:29 PM 5/5/2001, Joe Warner wrote:
>
> >I'm by no means defending RMS but why would he want to do
> >this?  What's his motivation?
>
> Joe, have you ever read the book "Hackers," by Steven Levy?

Not yet.

> Levy does an excellent job of documenting the events that led
> to RMS' vendetta. There are a couple of significant events in RMS'
> life that are NOT included because they happened later... RMS'
> nervous breakdown, for example, which happened a few years
> after the book was written. But the events in the book
> laid the groundwork for his monomaniacal drive to destroy
> all commercial software companies and programmers. I read it
> the same year I first encountered RMS (who was, at the time,
> living in the apartment of an acquaintance). It explained a
> LOT, though it still didn't prepare me for some of the more
> vehement things RMS said during our first conversation.

Sounds interesting.  I'll have to get a copy and read it.

> >Also, and this may be off topic but more and more lately, I've
> >noticed the ugly head of Linux vs BSD and vice versa popping
> >up on the web.  I realize it's something that's gone on for a long
> >time but..why?  Why isn't it BSD/Linux vs MS?
>
> I think that this depends on the forum. In forums such as
> Slashdot, where contempt for Microsoft's products is nearly
> universal, we see a lot of Linux vs. BSD debates. In the
> rest of the world, it's <UNIX-like OS> vs. MS. Folks who
> are not programmers do not understand either the licensing
> or technological differences among the UNIX-like OSes....
> It's all over their heads.

I hear you but IMO, whether it's BSD or Linux, we're all part of
the Open Source community and I think it's high time to bury the
hatchet.  This rings especially true to me after re-reading Craig
Mundie's speech that condemns aspects of Open Source.  I get
more agitated each time I read it.

Regards

Joe

> --Brett