Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 1997 19:35:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Clapper <bmc@WillsCreek.COM>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Sources

Liang Yu wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Sorry if I missed this somewhere but I have checked the FAQ and the
> handbook but cannot find any info how onto get the kernel sources for
> FreeBSD 2.2.1 current.
> I've installed FreeBSD 2.2.1 but I haven't installed the kernel sources
> because I have
> nothing in the /usr/src directory. I've tried running the sysinstall
> that way to get the
> package but it cor dumps everytime.
>
> I don't want to re-install the OS because I have got some vital software
> installed and
> running already. Please can you help?

If you installed from CDROM, then:

1. Put the installation CD back in your CD-ROM drive.
2. Mount the CD.  I'll assume you mounted it under /cdrom
3. Type the following commands to extract kernel source under /usr/src/sys

        # cd /usr/src
        # cat /cdrom/src/ssys.* | tar xzvf -

   The "#" indicates that you must the run command as "root".
-----
Brian Clapper, bmc@WillsCreek.COM, http://WWW.WillsCreek.COM/
A moose once bit my sister.