Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 1996 00:21:44 +1100 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: COMCONSOLE: a patch and a problem

>As Bruce Evans wrote:
>
>> >syscons uses a different tty structure for the console than for VT1.
>>                                                                    0
>
>No, syscons (and xfree86, FWIW) follows the somewhat weird SysV/SCO
>naming philosophy where the first available virtual terminal has got
>number one, i.e. VT1 == vt01 (xfree86) == /dev/ttyv0.
>
>In order to switch to this VT by ioctl(VT_ACTIVATE), you ought to pass
>a `1', not `0'.

Well, on SVR4, VT1 (/dev/vt01) is not the first VT, but the one activated
with Alt-SysReq F1.  The first one is /dev/vt00, which is activated with
Alt-SysReq H (H for "home" I think).  I think that in XFree86 we tried
to keep the relationship between the VT numbering and the way it is
activated consistent across different OSs.  /dev/vt00 and /dev/console
are the same device on SVR4 (at least by default).

David