Date:      Sat, 31 May 1997 18:37:57 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch), freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ctm

michael butler wrote in message ID
<3.0.1.32.19970601065555.006cc364@localhost>:

> It is, however, quite valid and useful to address intermediary
> routers with numbers chosen from these private networks .. so long
> as their administrator can still reach them :-) It has the
> (significant) advantage of guaranteeing that no-one else can play
> with your gear. With address space being harder and harder to get,
> using private (sub)nets in this way can save you *lots* of numbers
> for hosts that really need global access,

As I have said in other e-mail, it can also lead to problems. Lets say
you put your terminal server into net10. You then have a PPP customer
negotiate a connection with a MTU << 1500. They then go to a WWW page
on a FreeBSD box with a concencious (sp?) admin that blocks RFC1918
addresses on inbound links. Path MTU discovery will fail, as will the
users attempt to view the WWW page.

So just be careful what you put in reserved networks. Devices which
are liable to have to frag packets (e.g. terminal servers) should
probably be kept in BGP routed space.

Gary