Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2012 00:45:51 +1000
From:      Lawrence Stewart <lstewart@freebsd.org>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>, vmagerya@gmail.com, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkgng 1.0 release schedule, and HEAD switch to pkgng by default schedule

On 08/21/12 17:04, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 07:05:49AM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:

>>> There is no best practice for that unfortunatly, (as actually) the best for you
>>> is maybe to build your own pkgng repostories?
>>> http://wiki.freebsd.org/PkgPrimer#Using_poudriere for example?
>>>
>>> We are open to suggestion here :)
>>
>> At the moment, it is about as tricky as mixing locally compiled ports
>> with pkg_tools packages: ie. it might work, or it might leave you a
>> quivering, sobbing mess lost in a pit of dark despair.
>>
>> One thing that should help is a proposal to record metadata like the SVN
>> revision number of the ports tree used to build repository packages into
>> the repository catalogue (repo.sqlite), so users can in principle check
>> out the same revision locally to build their own ports.  Unfortunately
>> no one has written that yet, and its probably too late for it to make it
>> into release-1.0.
>>

> yes but it should definitly find its way to 1.1!

Agreed, though ultimately we want to move to making mixing of ports &
pkgs idiot-proof - something I suspect we're in better shape to do with
pkgng. As a recently minted roadtester of pkgng and wanting to do the
same as Vitaly without setting up Poudriere, I had to reverse engineer
the ports tree svn revision to make sure I could mix and match from
pkgbeta and stuff I built locally via ports with WITH_NEW_XORG and
WITH_KMS. This becomes more annoying to manage going forward.

So far I'm enjoying my pkgng experience for the most part and wish to
thank all those involved in getting it to this stage.

Cheers,
Lawrence