Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 15:52:52 -0400
From:      Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans@razorfish.com>
To:        Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any experience with T3/HSSI cards and FreeBSD?

>There aren't tons of choices at T3/E3 levels.  www.digitallink.com has an
>E3 DSU, and www.sdl-comm.com also has an HSSI card, but there isn't a fbsd
>driver for the new SDL Comm WANic that isn't available yet.  The WANic is
>substantially cheaper than the ET card.

Do you know anything about the lanmedia cards?
(http://www.lanmedia.com/prod10.htm and http://www.lanmedia.com/prod04.htm)
They have FBSD drivers and are reasonably priced
(http://www.lanmedia.com/pricelist.htm).

>I wouldn't start by asking the same box to run ipfilter with 40 rules, NAT,
>and squid and IPsec, though, and keep up with T3/E3 wire speeds.  BGP4 and
>basic packet forwarding with some light filtering seems doable and
>unavoidable if you have to have more than one backbone feed.

We looking to create something like a T3-ethernet bridge with the T3 cards
because the T3 will only be used between two offices.  That way would could
have the other office on the same LAN.  There will be no IP filtering on the T3
so we could also split the T3 off to a different machine if performance is an
issue.

-Hans

 |    ||   |||  ||         r a z o r f i s h , inc.

 hans-christoph steiner
 	[ network systems manager  ]