Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 04:13:15 +0200
From:      Piet Delport <siberiyan@mweb.co.za>
To:        Etherflow <etherflow@home.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: space on harddisk

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 at 13:05:09 +0200, Etherflow wrote:
> =20
> I have a question concerning the space on my harddisk. I tried to
> install MYSQL, but I got an error message that my filesystem is full.
> Well I have got a 7Gb harddisk and during the installation of freebsd
> I told the installation to use the entire disk and to use default when
> it came to partitioning.

This sounds very familiar... we ran into exactly this some time back.
AFAIR the MySQL port defaults to putting your database files in /var
somewhere.  The default sysinstall partition size of /var is quite tiny
however, so it gets filled in an eyeblink.

> Can anybody tell me how I can view the size of my partitions, how to
> resize a partition, or how to create new partitions.

Use df(1) to monitor the total/used/free space on all your mounted
partitions.

In this case, i think resizing isn't the best approach, though.  Try
moving your database files to a larger partition instead.  We created a
new "mysql" user, and put them under /home/mysql, but someplace like
/usr/local/mysql should also be fine.

--=20
Piet Delport <siberiyan@mweb.co.za>
Today's subliminal thought is: