Date:      Mon, 14 Nov 2005 23:39:37 -0600
From:      Craig Boston <craig@yekse.gank.org>
To:        Jiawei Ye <leafy7382@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD - Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why does security/amavisd-new depend on db3?

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 09:57:03PM +0800, Jiawei Ye wrote:
> This has been bothering me for quite a while now. Either portupgrade
> or portmanager reports that amavisd-new depends on db3, when my
> p5-BerkeleyDB depends on db42 (WITH_BDB_VER = 42). Has anyone else
> seen this?

Haven't seen this one particularly, but I do often see wrong
dependencies get registered somehow.  I haven't been bothered enough by
it to track it down; just pkgdb -F every once in a while...

For, example, even though I use security/krb5, everything that uses
Kerberos ends up with a dependency on security/heimdal.  I think it's
because LIB_DEPENDS finds a library that already exists (libkrb5.so) and
blindly registers a dependency on the port that it think installed it,
even though it came from somewhere else.

BDB, on the other hand, shouldn't have that problem since the shared
library versions are different between db3 and db4.  You don't by chance
have both installed?  Though even then WITH_BDB_VER should add the
correct dep.

It could be a problem with recursive dependencies.  How are you setting
WITH_BDB_VER?

Craig