Date:      Mon, 10 Oct 2016 14:49:15 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
To:        "Herbert J. Skuhra" <herbert@mailbox.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where is makeinfo gone

Hi,

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 05:22:25 +0200
"Herbert J. Skuhra" <herbert@mailbox.org> wrote:

> Erich Dollansky skrev:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I was a bit surprised that makeinfo seems to be gone from my newer
> > Raspberries.
> >
> > The installation dated 20.11.15 still has it in /usr/bin but the
> > installation dated 01.12.15 and all newer do not have it anymore.
> >
> > I am running 10.x, 11 and 12 on different Raspberries.
> >
> > At least
> >
> > http://www.unix.com/man-page/freebsd/1/makeinfo/
> >
> > tells me that it should be part of 11.
>
> Try https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi
>
> > The installations come from a mix of downloaded images and compiled
> > from source.
> >
> > Can somebody confirm that makeinfo should be there or tell me what I
> > missed?
>
> From /usr/src/UPDATING:
>
> 20150102:
>         The GNU texinfo and GNU info pages have been removed.
>         To be able to view GNU info pages please install texinfo from
>         ports.

the problem is then in the ports tree:

[raspberry2]...devel/autoconf (root) > make
===>   autoconf-2.69_1 depends on executable: gm4 - not found
===>   m4-1.4.17_1,1 depends on executable: makeinfo - not found
===>   m4-1.4.17_1,1 depends on executable: makeinfo - not found
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[2]: stopped in /usr/ports/devel/m4
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/devel/m4
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/devel/autoconf

The ports tree on this machine is a month old. Do you know if this got
fixed recently?

Erich