Date:      Mon, 07 Apr 2003 06:08:43 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Robert Gallimore <howlingrooster@classicnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: An odd networking problem

Robert Gallimore wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My wife and I share a cable modem connection. When I got into Unix, I
> could only use the system while she was at work. We were using "Internet
> connection sharing" through Windows, so of course she couldn't get on
> the Internet if I was using FreeBSD. Anyway, FreeBSD would connect fine
> to the Internet as long as my NIC card was directly wired to the cable
> modem. Well then we got the bright idea of going to the computer store
> and buying a router so she could connect while I was on FreeBSD. The
> router worked - sort of. She can now connect while I am on FreeBSD, but
> FreeBSD will not connect, even when I try to use DHCP and all. The
> router does work when we are both using Windows, or when I am using
> linux and she is using Windows. When I unplugged the router and plugged
> my card into the cable modem, FreeBSD connected. I think I am missing a
> setting or something. Everything is configured via DHCP. I am writing
> this in the hope that someone would be willing to help me with this
> aggravating problem. How do I get FreeBSD to deal with the fact that the
> router hardware has been added to the network? I could sure use some
> help as I have been at this for the last six months trying to figure it
> out. Thank you!!!

This should just work.  Assuming you've got the "router" configured
properly, the FreeBSD machine should glean everything it needs from DHCP,
and should just turn on and work.
Please post the following to the newsgroup:
1) Contents of /etc/rc.conf
2) output of ifconfig
3) IP configuration on the "router"
4) results of various ping test: ping the router IP, ping the windows
    box, ping 216.109.125.70, ping www.yahoo.com
5) Contents of /etc/resolv.conf

> p.s. Last night, while working on FreeBSD version 4.7, I set up my NIC
> as usual, but lynx would not connect to any webpages!!! Argh!!!! Then,
> my mouse stopped responding!!! I didn't mess with anything. Is this a
> known problem with 4.7? Everything was plugged in and working fine and
> then it all went to hell. I use a dell dimension 4300 Pentium 4, 256 MB
> RAM NVIDIA Geforce  2 graphics card, a linksys LNE Ethernet card, and a
> Belkin router.

I've been using 4.7 as my workstation since it was released.  I have a
Logitech optical mouse and never had a single problem.  You may want to
verify that your hardware is reliable, as well as your power.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies