Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 12:29:05 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>
To:        Mark Peek <mark@whistle.com>
Cc:        <net@FreeBSD.ORG>, <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problem with pxeboot and binutils-2.11

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Mark Peek wrote:

MP>At 4:46 PM +0200 8/9/01, Harti Brandt wrote:

MP>>Unfortunately we're not able to find out what new bug^h^h^hfeature of
MP>>gas or libbfd causes this behaviour. A simple workaround is to strip the
MP>>excess bytes from pxeldr just before building pxeboot, but that is REALLY
MP>>ugly:
MP>
MP>
MP>It appears that gas is now properly padding the end of the text
MP>section (and inserting the jmp and nops). This, in turn, misaligns
MP>the loader that is tacked onto the end of the pxeldr. I'm currently
MP>not setup to test pxeboot'ing but here's a patch that might fix it.

Don't know, whether it's the right thing to be 'intelligent' for an
assembler. I think programing languages which try to guess what the
programmer might think are evil. But anyway, your patch works. Thanks.

harti
--
harti brandt, http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/cats/employees/hartmut.brandt/private
              brandt@fokus.gmd.de, harti@begemot.org