Date:      Sat, 27 May 2000 17:33:55 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why no Master Index?

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 07:15:47PM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 08:48:50AM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> > On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 07:43:07PM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> > > Is there a reason why there is no Master Index/TOC for the FreeBSD
> > > docs?

[snip]

> > Your example looked good.  Do you want to turn that in to HTML (based on
> > the existing contents of www/en), and we can go from there.
> >

> OK, ftp://ukug.uk.freebsd.org/pub/mark/doc_index/ for my first
> attempt. I've put both the HTML and the SGML I made it from
> (sgmlnorm -d example.sgml > example.html). The links assume it is in
> /usr/share/doc.

Nik, I've done some more work on this. The files are
ftp://ukug.uk.freebsd.org/pub/mark/doc_index/*.{html,sgml}. If you put
them in /usr/share/doc then all the links (should) work.

I'd appreciate some feedback before I proceed much further, in case
I'm heading down the wrong route.

> > You might want to take a look at http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html, and
> > try trimming that down.  One way to do it would be to split things in two
> > based on whether or not they're maintained by the project.
> >
> > So have a docs/index.html that offers the reader links to the two files,
> > and an 'internal.html' that lists the project maintained docs, and an
> > 'external.html' that lists the other stuff ('internal' and 'external' are
> > crap names, please, come up with better ones :-) )

OK, I've used "native" and "related" in the samples. How do those sound?

> > I also wouldn't mind seeing a translation table that listed all the docs,
> > and an indication of whether or not they've been translated. . .
> >
> >                          en     es     fr    ja    ru    zh
> >    Handbook              x             x     x
> >    FAQ                   x      x      x     x     x     x
> >    FDP Primer            x
> >    Porter's Handbook     x                   x
> >    [...]

Done.

[snip]

--
        ...and on the eighth day God created UNIX