Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 2008 21:36:17 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        ed@80386.nl, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reminder: non-mpsafetty drivers to be connected on Sunday

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> In message: <20080803194844.GA99951@hoeg.nl>
>            Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl> writes:
> : * M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
> : > You are moving too fast on this.  Please slow down.  You promised
> : > documentation and such, but that hasn't happened, so a slowdown in
> : > your timeline is justified.
> :
> : It's really unfortunate you happen to mention this issue right now.
> : After the message by Peter two days ago, I think I sent him enough
> : documentation to get him started. As discussed with scottl and rwatson,
> : I extended this documentation to something more usable:
> :
> : 	http://wiki.freebsd.org/TTYRedesign
> :
> : But indeed, this doesn't justify that I haven't written this earlier on.
>
> Yes, it is unfortunate that I mention it now.  I should have said something
> sooner too.  However, I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said by
> others in the past few days and weeks.  I'm just yelling it more loudly than
> they chose to.  I saw the earlier discussions, and thought things were going
> well, but haven't had the time to pay attention in the last couple of weeks.
> Still, please don't shoot the messenger too much.

I'm a fan of giving it a week or two breather and focusing on updating
drivers, documentation, etc, and then merging it all in mid-august.  I don't
think there's any need to delay things a month, but if we have eager hands
(Peter Jeremy, Peter Wemm?) waiting to update drivers given a bit of
documentation, now is the time for them to start looking at the wiki and
figuring out what they're missing.  BTW, what do you (Ed) think of uploading
the patch for one of the drivers to the wiki and annotating the diffs?

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge