Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 08:18:08 +0100
From:      Rogier Steehouder <r.j.s@gmx.net>
To:        Norm <nrichard47@telus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing FreeBSD along with Windows XP

On 27-01-2002 13:35 (-0500), Norm wrote:
> I have a new P4 1.8GHz with 512 MB RDRAM and 60GB HDD which I have
> split int two drives (C,D).  I plan on using Drive C for Windows XP
> and Drive D for FreeBSD.

Please wrap your lines properly.

> 1) Can you tell me whether it is better to use NTFS file formatting or
> FAT32 for either or both drives? Pros and cons of using either file
> systems?

FreeBSD uses its own UFS/FFS filesystem. Windows cannot read that. I
know FreeBSD reads and writes FAT32, but probably not NTFS.

> 2) I believe XP has MBR capability! (for multiple boot systems)  If
> that is so, can it be used successfully with FreeBSD and how is it
> activated?

I have no idea.

> 3) From reading the material on your site, I understand that I can
> create my own bootable CD ROM, I tried with the BSD 4.4 folder but all
> I got was a copy of the files.  Is it the ISO 4.4 image file (Disc 1 &
> 2) that will create the CD Boot Disks?

After you downloaded the 4.4-install.iso, you must write it to CD-ROM as
an ISO image, not as a file. Search your burner software's manual for
writing CD images.

> 4)  Do I need to format the drive D before installing FreeBSD?

That will be done during install.

> Any othe advice you have will be welcomed.

I have tons of advice on a variety of subjects, most of which is
unlikely to be applicable. If you have other questions regarding
FreeBSD, feel free to post them to the mailing list.

Have you read the FreeBSD manual on http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ ?
It has a chapter on installing FreeBSD.

With kind regards, Rogier Steehouder

--