Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 07:44:19 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@ics.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Age of Darkness

> I hope this doesn't mean that Amancio's -- in a fit of pique -- is going
> to pull a DeRaadt and form Yet-Another-BSD.
>
> Please tell me that won't happen.

Um.  Cough.  I think we're letting paranoia get the better of us just
a little bit here now. :-)

Assuming that Amancio even had the time to go start another *BSD, and
I don't think he's so foolish as to want to give up that much of his
life in any case, there's a world of difference between somebody
splintering away from the core group of NetBSD after a protracted
battle for control of one of their architecture ports and Amancio and
I shouting at one another in -hackers.  For one thing, Amancio and I
have been shouting at one another on and off for at least 4 years now
and it's been both better and worse at various times.  Amancio also
isn't a member of core or even a FreeBSD committer at the moment so
there isn't exactly a large emotional investment at risk here,
certainly not enough to want to go start a whole new BSD just to be
able to say "foo!" to the other BSDs.  It generally takes something a
bit more substantial, like a Sparc port, to make one want to go do
something like that. :)

In other words, Amancio is hardly Theo.  Nor is he Elvis.  The black
helicopters are not coming for you, Kaleb, and you can go back to
sleep. ;-)

- Jordan