Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 1995 09:13:03 -700 (PDT)
From:      Anthony Graphics <agl@sequoiap.com>
To:        Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-install@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem installing 2.0.5-R: no kernel gets to the / :-(

On Fri, 14 Jul 1995, Gary Palmer wrote:

> In message <9507131901.aa29438@sheba.sequoiap.com>, Anthony Graphics writes:
> >I'm trying to install 2.0.5-R but after removing cpio floppy\
> >boot procedure can't complete: to kernel is available on the hard disk?
> >? shows stand etc bin, a couple of other dirs: but no kernel :-(
>
> Huh? cpio floppy? We don't have a cpio floppy in 2.0.5-RELEASE!
> Assuming you mean the root floppy, can you give more information on
> what exactly has happened? What install method did you choose?
Yeah, I was moving to the States so I was not quite up to the changed in the
freebsd. Actually I mean root floppy.
I booted off the boot floppy installed root floppy then the system
rebooted after cpioing root floppy on the newfsed root filesystem
on the hard drive: and I was without kernel. before rebooting
it told me _explicitly_ to boot off the hard drive as all previous
releases I was trying to install did. The problem is that I'm
now using aha2940 and can't thus try 2.0R (and ain't supposed to I guess:
2.0.5 should work fine: but it ain't: looks like I'm missing something...)
AGL
ok, here are the steps:
1) fdisking
2) disklabeling(e)diting & a)ssigning: a-/, b-swap e-/usr)
3) proceeding -> install reboots the system asking to remove any floppy
    and boot off the hard drive (no bin floppies are asked yet)
looks like something misses my attention, some subtle change after
950[34]XXSNAP in the install method but I guess what is that...