Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 1995 20:36:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Capo <jc@irbs.com>
To:        gatliff@cel.cummins.com (William A. Gatliff)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TCP/IP protocol stack

William A. Gatliff writes:

> I figure you guys might know this...
>
> I'm wanting to port a TCP/IP protocol library to an embedded
> experimental project I'm hacking on. The binary won't be
> redistributable, and the product isn't for sale (only one
> will ever exist, and it will be _mine_. :^) )
>
> Are any of you familiar with a fairly well-organized library
> that could be ported to a non-PC, non-OS-based embedded system?
>
> Or, how do you think it'd go to port the library in FreeBSD?
> (I'd prefer this route, if anyone thinks it's a viable alternative).

I've done both.  Look at the ka9q package, aka nos I think.  Took a
lot of hacking to get the DOSness out of it.

I have the networking code from the net2 tapes running under an
embedded real-time OS called UCOS on a MIPS R33010.  Took about
40 hours to get a loopback ping working.  Several more weeks to
make it useable.

This was a commercial project and I don't own the work so about
all I can do is to say that it is not that big a deal.  The
development environment is gcc-2.5.8 running on FreeBSD generating
MIPS code.

John Capo
IRBS Engineering