Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 21:04:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Freeze <jfreeze@freebsdportal.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   blanking screen with xset dpms

Hi

I just installed 4.4R with XFree86 4.1.
I am running KDE2.

I have an older system with 3.4R and XFree86 3.3.6.
On this old system I have in my .xinitrc file:
 xset dpms 600 600 600

which shutdowns the monitor after 10 min of inactivity.
I can even type
 xset dpms 1 1 1
from the command line as a normal user and blank
the monitor in 1 second.

However, when I added these commands to .xinitrc on
my new system, nothing happens. And, typing xset dpms 1 1 1
from the command line has no affect.
I have also tried
 xset +dpms
to turn on the Screen Saver, but this also appears to have
no affect.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks