Date:      Mon, 14 May 2018 21:50:26 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi26-fbsd@yahoo.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        delphij@freebsd.org, freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: svn commit: r469449 - in head: Mk base/binutils base/gcc base/gcc/files

On 2018-May-14, at 9:00 AM, John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Saturday, May 12, 2018 10:38:20 PM Mark Millard wrote:
>> . . .
>>

> Yes, we are now using objcopy from elftoolchain and it seems that
> base/binutils was not updated when that happened.  We should probably
> remove objcopy from the other plists.
>
> It would probably be best to use BUTARGET in the plist files.
>
> It would perhaps be really useful to start building base/binutils and
> base/gcc on a regular basis on platforms they have been ported to to
> detect regressions.  At some point we are going to want to have
> package repositories with those available as well, but perhaps I can
> work with Xin Li to start building worlds via external toolchains
> which can then be used as CROSS_SYSROOTs to build pkg, base/binutils,
> and base/gcc in Jenkins.

I'll note that for powerpc64, and the historical range of
devel/powerpc64-gcc vintages that I've tried over the years,
I've never had a WITH_LIB32= buildworld end up with a lib32
environment that worked. crtbeginS seems to get some code
generation (register usage) from the wrong ABI and ends up
using R30's value as a bad-address to dereference
inappropriately. WITHOUT_LIB32= may be appropriate.

(lib32 works in my experimental clang-based buildworlds.
But clang has other problems for powerpc64 and 32-bit
powerpc.)

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com