Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 2004 20:40:00 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        jeremiah_holt@comcast.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CMOS Checksum error

In message: <XFMail.20041025164213.jeremiah_holt@comcast.net>
            jeremiah_holt@comcast.net writes:
: I have a interresting problem. When I go to reboot my machine
: with shutdown -r or reboot. The system reboots normally
: until POST when I get a CMOS Checksum invalid message default
: settings applied. However if I use halt or shutdown -h
: and power off then back on I don't get the error and BIOS settings
: are retained.

Sounds like a dead CMOS battery in an older system.   Or at least a
marginal one.

Warner