Date:      Tue, 09 Dec 1997 19:24:11 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why so many steps to build new kernel?

> John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org> wrote:
>
> > why not simply use the && pipeline operator for this??  this is what
> > it is most commonly used for...
>
> We are Unix, you could even simply typeahead the next input, trusting
> that all the steps before would have worked. ;-)

Whats wrong with "make depend kernel install"? That's what I've been
doing. It appears to make those targets in order specified and aborts
once one fails.

As for the config step, it could be worse, it could be Linux.  :-)
Actually its been so long since I built a Linux kernel that I forgot how
it was done. Hasn't been long enough for me to forget that one *had* to
build a custom Linux kernel in order to get a functional mix of the
right device drivers for your system. Hopefully (for Linux) that has
changed by now.