Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2001 19:11:51 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Wilmes <cwilmes@creighton.edu>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What NIC to choose ?

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, J. Goodleaf wrote:

> What are people's feelings about the 3Com 509 and related NICs? I recall a
> while back that people were generally unhappy with the 3Com driver, etc.
> Anyone enjoying 3Com cards under 4.4-stable?
>  -John

There is a long-standing issue with 3Com 509-based cards freezing when
under a very heavy load.  The problem is apparently quite hard to
duplicate.

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=8861

I've got a 3Com 3C509-TPO EtherLink III that showed this behavior on one
occasion.  It was when I was transferring about 1 Gig of information over
a 100Base-T network to the 10Base-T card.  The card worked flawlessly for
a few minutes, then it just stopped.  It took a "ifconfig ep0 down" and
"ifconfig ep0 up" to get it working again.  Strange problem that never
happened again, even under identical circumstances.

Sincerely,

Chris Wilmes