Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 1997 17:58:42 +0800 (WST)
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@obiwan.aceonline.com.au>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Mike Pritchard <mpp@freefall.freebsd.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re : "screen " (was Re: dup3() - I've thought it over and decided...)

> The package 'screen' allows a similar thing.  It manages virtual
> shells on a terminal and allows you to detach the whole lot in one
> go, and then reattach from anywhere.  I used to use it at University
> when terminals were hard to hold on to all day (due to student demand).
> Useful for that FTP that's going to take all day. :)

Thats the exact reason why I hate giving screen access to our users :)
Remember how much net traffic COSTS in Australia (I'm not going to
scare you US people..) but now when people logout it kills all their
processes, my excuse is that it doesn't leave the occasional ncftp or irc
in a loop chewing up CPU time :)

(I also like it cause it lets me "lock" my screens when I walk away from
terminals for a few minutes).

Adrian.