Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 1999 12:04:45 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Gary Palmer <gjp@in-addr.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ``how to'' for Vinum and mirroring after the volume was created?

On Sunday, 26 December 1999 at 19:03:27 -0500, Gary Palmer wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
> I've got a question or two about vinum, and how to work it.
>
> I'm trying to upgrade the storage on my home computer, and while I was
> transitioning my old disks out, I only managed to get one of the new
> ones online to copy data onto it.

Did you forget the 'setupstate' keyword?

> Now I want to mirror that volume onto a 2nd plex.  Attaching the
> plex to the volume and doing a vinum start seemed to start a
> mirroring process, but it seemed to be reading from both plexes in
> round robin to do the mirror!

How do you determine that?

> This obviously wasn't what I had hoped for.

It certainly doesn't make sense?

> The second question concerns the flag fields.  Is there any way to
> change flags on the fly?  e.g. change the volume from being round
> robin to prefer plex?

That's one thing I haven't done yet.  It's trivial, but I haven't
thought of a syntax for the command.  Suggestions?

> Lastly, what does vinum mean?

Wine (in Latin).  If you search, you may find an amusing pun on a
Latin saying.

Greg