Date:      Sat, 4 Apr 2009 14:27:36 +0300
From:      Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Michael David Crawford <mdc@prgmr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: We'd like to help with Xen

--5ZF6ft5jA1BB8Hg/

On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 07:42:24PM -0700, Michael David Crawford wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>=20
> Prgmr.com, Inc. (http://prgmr.com/) is a Xen-based Virtual Private=20
> Server hosting service.  We presently offer Linux and NetBSD DomUs, and=
=20
> would like to offer FreeBSD as well.
>=20
> I've been asked to help get FreeBSD to work under Xen.  My understanding=
=20
> is that FreeBSD can be gotten to boot as a DomU, but doesn't work reliabl=
y.
>=20
> I'm an experienced programmer, but not at all with FreeBSD.  The closest=
=20
> I've come to FreeBSD work is the Mac OS X kernel, which is in part based=
=20
> on FreeBSD.  I also used to work with the old BSD-based SunOS, many=20
> years ago.
>=20
> Other than being eager to help, I don't even know where to start.  Of=20
> course I will need to learn FreeBSD kernel programming, but I don't even=
=20
> know where to start with that.
>=20
> Perhaps someone could give me a little hand-holding until I know my way=
=20
> around the source tree.

I suggest the best route for the start would be to pick a bug and
start analyzing it. Then, you can ask and get answers on the concrete
questions you would have with the code. Note that for the general
questions, not specific to the Xen bits, hackers@ or current@ may
be the better forums due to wider audience.

--5ZF6ft5jA1BB8Hg/

--5ZF6ft5jA1BB8Hg/--