Date:      Mon, 01 Jan 2001 10:32:16 +1100
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: alternative network media

Ben Jackson wrote:

> > So, I bought this ultra-slim Sony notebook (Vaio SR-5K) and it has
> > both USB and Firewire ports on it.  That got me thinking.  Has
> > anyone tried to develop IP drivers for either of those?
>
> I got an SMC USB 10bT adapter for free with my cable modem (they had
> ISA, USB and PCMCIA, so I took the USB for novelty).  It must be really
> really cheap to make.  shopper.com lists several for about $30, and 100bT
> for $35.  On the other hand, the "USB to USB" cable by SMC is $40!

100mbit USB ethernet is fairly silly since it cant possibly run at
that speed on USB... I think USB max is 12mbit...

USB ports are all part of a hub of sorts.. and you can get USB hubs
to add more ports, an interesting idea would to connect multiple
systems to the USB hub and have your self a 12mbit IP network...
Probably not possible but its an interesting idea!