Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 18:23:05 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dyson@iquest.net
Cc:        hamellr@dsinw.com, unknown@riverstyx.net, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD: The Storage Wars

> > > Linux-Alpha doesn't have the 2 gig problem, and the 2.2 series does have
> > > patches available to go past the 2 gig limit.
> >
> > 	Which is why I personally don't like Linux. It seems that you're
> > always loading patches to fix little problems. :) Granted FreeBSD has
> > patches too. But when was the last time you needed a patch? :) Anyways,
> > isn't the Linux patch still limited to 8 gigs or so?
>
> IMO, it is *silly* that Linux doesn't support large files correctly.  If
> it doesn't support large files on an X86, then it doesn't support large
> files.  There was alot of pressure from the user and developer base when
> FreeBSD didn't properly support large files, and I am surprised that
> either the Linux base hasn't pressured for proper support for large files,
> or the Linux developers can't figure out how to do it.  (I sure hope that
> it isn't arrogance on their part that it isn't "needed.")

Well, as long as we are beating dead horses here...

IMO, it is *silly* that FreeBSD coopted the fields in FFS that were
reserved for dealing with the Y2038 "bug", which technically didn't
exist in BSD 4.4 until these fields were coopted.

But then, who am I to look 39 years into the future, instead of only
6 months ahead, like everyone else.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---