Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 23:27:39 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: non-blocking read ?

> Luigi Rizzo stands accused of saying:
> >
> > That's my problem... some programs (noticeably the "harvest" cache)
> > work as a single-threaded process which serves concurrent
> > requests by trying to avoid blocking calls. It appears to do a nice
> > job, but for some things (say reads/seeks etc. from disk) it appears
> > that there is no way to avoid delays -- at least to my knowledge.
>
> Grr, read my original response.  I wasn't being stupid.

It's just that I received your email _after_ writing this reply,
I believe!  And yes, I am guilty, I didn't look too carefully at
how harvest implement this before posting :)

	Cheers
	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/