Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 96 13:40:07 +0100
From:      garyj@frt.dec.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, isdn@muc.ditec.de
Subject:   Re: Any ISDN-BRI cards work under FreeBSD?

NOTE: I added current to the Cc for wider distribution in the hope
that someone will positively respond to my question below. I added
the isdn mail-list because it may be of general interest to the people
on that list.

grog@lemis.de writes:
> garyj@frt.dec.com writes:
> >
> > brian@mediacity.com writes:
> >>  I'm currently using external BitSurfer Pros, but would like to
> >>  recover the bandwidth that is lost to the serial port 115200 bps limit
> >>  and the ASYNC/SYNC conversion.
> >
> > even with a card you can't do that because the current ISDN code does
> > not support channel aggregation. It's one of the things which are planned
> > for the (who knows how distant) future.
>
> Still, you could have mentioned:
>
> In Germany and other parts of Europe, the Teles S0 and compatible
> boards are supported.  They *should* work in the US, though nobody's
> done it yet.  They currently only run single channel connections (you
> can have two different connections to different destinations).  The
> theoretical maximum throughput is 8 kB/s (64,000 bps), which is
> somewhat less than the theoretical maximum of the 115.2 kbps lines
> (11.52 kB/s).

this is true, but since he wanted to use all the available bandwidth
and it won't work with the current code I thought he should be informed.

I'm going to be in California from Nov 7 til Nov 28 and would be more
than willing to bring a pair of (ISA) cards from Germany and try to get the
bisdn code working in the US. I already asked Jordan, but he can't
accomodate me. Is there anyone in the Bay Area who has ISDN and a pair
of boxes who'd be willing to make them available for this ?

---
Gary Jennejohn				(work) gjennejohn@frt.dec.com
					(home) Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de
					(play) gj@freebsd.org