Date:      Wed, 27 Apr 2016 15:40:27 -0700
From:      Chuck Outman <charlesoutman@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org

ClNlbnQgZnJvbSBteSBWZXJpem9uIDRHIExURSBEcm9pZA==
From owner-freebsd-ports@freebsd.org  Thu Apr 28 00:17:17 2016
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 17:17:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
Subject: Re: Ports tree gone unstable?
To: michelle@sorbs.net
cc: ports@freebsd.org, vmiller@hostileadmin.com, rkoberman@gmail.com

On 28 Apr, Michelle Sullivan wrote:
> Don Lewis wrote:

>>> Unfortunately the first thing that 3.1.[012]? did was install all the
>>> pkg stuff and change the pkg_add repo into a pkg repo... or something
>>> like it, which broke everything horribly..  it was a long time ago so no
>>> idea the specifics now... but it (3.1.x) was put on a 'not suitable for
>>> use due to security issues' list.
>> That could be the point at which support for the old pkg_* tools was
>> removed from poudriere.  That would explain why it wanted to upgrade
>> things.
>
> Yes, but that's also a security issue in itself.  Had I not spotted and
> stopped this the changes it tried to make to the repo would have
> resulted in production machines being 'reload from scratch' on the first
> security patch - because it screwed the build servers and the repos.

I would think that the pkg_* tools would see the NG repo as something
that they didn't understand and then would barf without doing anything.

>> I'd thought that poudriere was using the host copy of pkg to do the
>> final part of the respository build, but since poudriere doesn't list
>> pkg as a dependency, that appears not to be the case.  It looks like
>> poudriere is running pkg (from the repository being constructed) in the
>> jail for that.
>
> Yeah.. except something around the time went about "upgrading" the OS to
> use pkg as well... which screwed the OS... fortunately I caught the
> first VM it tried to do it to and was able to limit the damage just to
> that VM so the rebuild was minimum.

That's quite possible.  If the OS is old enough to have been using the
old pkg_* tools by default, then it would have gotten an update to
switch to pkgNG when the support for old-style packages was removed from
the ports tree.  Prior to that, there was a lengthy period of time when
old packages were the default, but you could switch to new packages by
adding some magic to /etc/make.conf.  I thought all the magic was in the
ports framework and prior to the cutover it just looked at ${OSVERSION},
though.  A client without a copy of /usr/ports wouldn't know about any
of this.

I would think that the old pkg_* tools would still work with an
old-style repository, but that's not something that I've tried.

>>> Which I have 2 currently - one which is 'HEAD' and the other which is my
>>> 'pkg_*' tools tree (up to date - mostly).
>>> Yes, however 3.1.x 'updated' the repo from pkg_* to something like pkgng
>>> - it was completely f**ked though... basically had to erase everything,
>>> downgrade and reinstall everything to get it back to a 'will build both
>>> trees' state.

>>> That doesn't make sense...  the host has for months been well behind
>>> both my tree and the ng trees... all the versions would be way out of
>>> whack and even some not existing (ruby comes to mind.)
>> As I mentioned previously, poudriere is just a shell script so it isn't
>> tightly bound to the version of the ports tree.  What caused the problem
>> that you are seeing now is that the ports framework changed in a way
>> that is not compatible with really old versions of poudriere.  Basically
>> the output of "make -V BUILD_DEPENDS" changed from
>> blah:/path/to/ports/category/port to blah:category/port, and the old
>> version of poudriere can't cope with that.
>
> I find that 'odd' at first parse... though will take your word for it
> and check the code... maybe make my own version of poudriere that can
> handle both...

With a ports tree from late last year:

%cd /usr/ports/lang/gcc
make -V BUILD_DEPENDS
/usr/local/bin/as:/usr/ports/devel/binutils gmake:/usr/ports/devel/gmake libiconv>=1.14_9:/usr/ports/converters/libiconv /usr/local/share/java/ecj-4.5.jar:/usr/ports/lang/gcc-ecj45  zip:/usr/ports/archivers/zip /usr/local/bin/as:/usr/ports/devel/binutils perl5>=5.20<5.21:/usr/ports/lang/perl5.20

>From a recent ports tree:

%make -V BUILD_DEPENDS
/usr/local/bin/as:devel/binutils gmake:devel/gmake libiconv>=1.14_9:converters/libiconv makeinfo:print/texinfo /usr/local/share/java/ecj-4.5.jar:lang/gcc-ecj45  zip:archivers/zip /usr/local/bin/as:devel/binutils perl5>=5.20<5.21:lang/perl5.20

It turns out that there are more moving parts in poudriere that I
expected.  Patching your copy of poudriere looks like your best bet.
That will also allow you to build old-style packages with recent
versions of the ports tree.  Look for changes between version 3.1.8 and
3.1.9 here: <https://github.com/freebsd/poudriere/>;

>>> Will check this - if it mounts the local copy of the tree this would
>>> probably fix it.
>>> They already are in VMs.. but if poudriere make modifications to the OS
>>> then it is a security issue.  If it modifies/builds packages that's fine.
>>>
>>> ... let me expand on that ... anything that modifies something in the
>>> base OS unless specifically designed and approved to interact with the
>>> OS (eg puppet) then as far as I am concerned (and my employer) it's a
>>> security risk.  Can't have things willy nilly changing the OS, it will
>>> eventually break stuff and that could cause/lead to production
>>> outages... it's just not done.
>> I don't think it's changing anything in the base OS.
>
> Well bapt swears that it wasn't freebsd-update that screwed the OS, so
> must be pourdiere ... don't know both changes happened at the same time,
> and it screwed my migration plans to the point I've told $employer to
> forget looking at FreeBSD at all for internal systems or embedded
> systems and stick with the current OS of RHEL/CentOS and please assign
> people to take over my machines and change them to match the corp
> standard...  So far they have refused to switch them (lack of resources)
> and after a long discussion with a person in OPs that also has an
> @freebsd.org address it was suggested I just fork the OS and ports
> tree...  However, after news that i might not have as long as I hoped, I
> think this would be folly and a waste of my remaining days.

Funny thing that you should mention freebsd-update ... in another thread
a couple people mentioned getting the wrong version of ifconfig after
running freebsd-update.