Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 16:08:35 +0200
From:      Pierre Beyssac <beyssac@enst.fr>
To:        adrian@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any action on PR 10570 ? getting closer to 65K :-(

I'm running a (-CURRENT) system with the short->int patch applied
and it seems to run ok so far. Here's a script to exercise the
panic, you just need to define "default" as the IP for your default
gateway.

On Fri, Apr 30, 1999 at 07:28:26PM +0800, adrian@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:
> I didn't say you shouldn't make world again, I was just pointing out that
> there shouldn't be a need to modify anything else in userland.

Uh, not directly anyway, but it seems that at least "netstat"
displays the reference count as a signed short. Hence it displays
a negative integer if you happen to have more than 2^15 references
to the route. I suppose this will have to be given a closer look,
as whatever interface it uses to get the count from the kernel
might have to be changed.

OTOH, the good news is that the old netstat executable still works
as before.

#!/bin/sh

default=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
count=65537

start=167772161	# 10.0.0.1
end=`expr $start + $count`

echo "Adding $count routes"

i=$start
while [ $i -lt $end ]; do
	#route add $i $default
	#i=`expr $i + 1`
done

i=$start
while [ $i -lt $end ]; do
	# echo -n 'Press RETURN to delete one route: '
	# read a
	route delete $i $default
	i=`expr $i + 1`
done