Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:32:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Saurabh Gupta <thegage@kashmir.etowns.net>
To:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Xfree86, GNOME, KDE freezing over

Hi,
I am running a current from 22nd of september.
I compiled gnome2 using the ports method. after some
help from people in this list i finally installed it.
Now as soon as I startup gnome in X the computer freezes.
So I compiled and installed kde3 and the same thing
happens.
Simple X with just twm seemed to run fine(xterm and a whole
bunch of X utilities and all), untill I
displayed a remote netscape on this display, which is when
this froze over again.
Other things that freeze the computer are
mozilla running under twm within 10 seconds of startup
even just the sawfish window manager freezes as soon as
I resize any window.
I have no idea how to get more info or catch this bug It
just gives no error nothing, even in a generic Kernel with
all the debugging features turned on!
ANY CLUES, SUGGESTIONS
Any one running these applications on current successfully?
Anyways here is what I did further. It seems as if the problem
is in some package that is used by all these applications.
So I gathered a list of dependency packages for all these and
started looking for common members. There are tons no surprise
there. among all however the common members seem to be
Dependency: libiconv-1.8_1
Dependency: lcms-1.08
Dependency: freetype2-2.1.2
of these lcms and libiconv seem to be ruled out in XFree-*
dependency list. So the most/(only?) common package in all these
software seems to be
freetype2-2.1.2
Another thing i noticed is that kde starts up fine : displays
a couple of windows and then right around then while displaying
one of the windows it freezes half way through. Sort of leaving
a feeling that it froze over while rendering some graphics or
doing font manipulation calculation......
is freetype the real culprit, I do not know!
ofcourse all this could very well be no more than a hunch.
Any help will be very much appreciated.
thanks and best regards,

Saurabh Gupta