Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 10:33:10 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        "FreeBSD Question List" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Gateway server "hanging"

PPS:

I've also discovered a pretty intensive port scan recorded in the
ipfw.log.  My entire Public IP range was scanned on port 22 (ssh), and
all were denied, except, of course, the firewall's itself!  The timing
of that portscan exactly matches the "/kernel: 8.223:22 in via xl0"
message in the  message log.  I'm assuming this is no co-incidence!

I've done reverse lookup on the offending IP, and (no big surprise) it
seems to be a dial-up account:
Name:    200-207-89-155.dsl.telesp.net.br
Address:  200.207.89.155