Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 19:48:40 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        jgrosch@mooseriver.com, Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
Cc:        FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: solaris is free.

(following up to -chat, where it belonged from the start)

On Wednesday, 12 August 1998 at  2:29:37 -0700, Josef Grosch wrote:

>>> My guess is that Sun is beginning to feel the heat from FreeBSD and
>>> Linux. Last time I looked very few people we running Solaris on X86. Mayby
>>> they are starting to worry about all those older Sparc's running NetBSD.
>>
>> To be honest, x86 SOlaris has always been a bit a forgotten child in the
>> Sun family.
>
> Given the speed of Solaris on x86 I'm not surprised. When I was contracting
> at Sun earlier this year I went around installing FreeBSD on machines that
> were running Solaris. Even hard core Sun people were surprised at how much
> faster FreeBSD ran.

I had lunch with a group of ISPs today, and two of them were telling
me how they had more or less completed their migration from Linux to
FreeBSD, mainly because of the stability of FreeBSD SCSI support.  One
thing they were really missing was kernel threads: they found that a
Linux box maxed out at about 25 hits per second, and the same box
would pass 90 hits per second because of kernel threading.  They
hadn't been able to max it out under FreeBSD, but there was no reason
to believe it would perform as well as Solaris.

Solaris isn't all bad.  I'm getting the feeling that threads and MP
support are going to make or break FreeBSD.

Greg