Date:      Mon, 24 May 1999 23:38:59 +0100
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        mariusz p <mp@2n.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: version change

mariusz p wrote:
> can some one tell me how without lost users data upgreate 2.2.6 system to
> 3.something ?

[This might appear to be a 'questions' question. But i believe that the
person needs some general guidance before he gets stuck and goes to
'questions']

Basically, it's not a terribly simple operation. And my advice would be
not to bother unless you need to.

If you decide that you want to, you have 2.5 options :

1) Download the binaries of the new version from
ftp.something.freebsd.org, most easily accomplished by booting of the
new Release's boot diskette and choosing 'upgrade'
1.5) Basically the same a 1, but buy the CD-ROM set first. This is
probably the best option if you live somewhere like Britain and are
forced to pay by the minute for your internet access (See
http://telecom.eu.org)
2) Update you system's source code to the new Release's code, and do a
'make world'. This is DEFIANTLY NOT recommended for someone new to the
OS. The first two options are MUCH easier. See the Handbook for more
info on this option.

--
Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
http://sour.cream.org/