Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 1995 03:32:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Adaptec 2842 VLB SCSI & XFree86?

Thanks to the advice of many people on the FreeBSD mailing list over the
last few months as to IDE vs. SCSI, I finally took the plunge and bought a
new SCSI controller.  Of course my hard drives and CD-ROM are still IDE,
but now that I've made the commitment, I can sell them and buy new SCSI
stuff at my leisure.  In the meantime, I'm testing this card (an Adaptec
2842A VESA local bus) with an external Iomega Zip drive..

I finally managed to get all three of my VLB cards properly seated (no
small feat considering their length and the fact that my motherboard is
somewhat loosely mounted in its tower case), and Windows 95 seems to
recognize the controller properly.  So did FreeBSD, with the GENERIC
kernel (I'm building a custom kernel right now).  The problem, however,
is that with the SCSI controller installed, XFree86 consistently and
repeatedly FREEZES SOLID which means that I can't properly shut down the
system (since I can't switch back to a console) so I just have to hit the
reset switch...  Sheesh...

The other cards installed are a "JAX 8241" generic S3 801 VLB SVGA card
and a VLB dual IDE/serial/parallel/game card.  The motherboard has an AMD
DX4/100 and is set to 33MHz, no wait states.  The Adaptec card has a
panel with 8 DIP switches, which can set the card to 1C00h, 2C00h, 3C00h,
etc, as well as enable/disable the onboard BIOS (right now its disabled
since I have no bootable drives), and enable/disable the onboard floppy
controller (disabled since there's one on the IDE card).  Perhaps this
custom kernel will fix matters.  Otherwise, can anyone give me any hints
for this particular card as to why it's causing these X Window problems?
Thanks in advance!

     Jake Hamby                         |   E-Mail:  jehamby@lightside.com
  Student, Cal Poly University, Pomona  |   System Administrator, JPL