Date:      Mon, 03 Mar 2014 17:04:02 +0200
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-net <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   delayed_ack and Nagle's algorithm interaction

Guys,

my knowledge of TCP and our TCP/IP stack is quite basic.
It seems that we are running into a problem described here or something with
very similar symptoms:
http://www.stuartcheshire.org/papers/NagleDelayedAck/
At least, if I either disable delayed_ack or use TCP_NODELAY option, then the
problem goes away.  Otherwise, we see quite significant extra latencies.
Maybe an important detail: the problem is observed for communication between a
local host client and a server in a jail.  So, all traffic is local (via
loopback interface).

I have a pcap file that captures the problem.
Ideas, suggestion, etc are welcome.
Thanks!
--
Andriy Gapon